Monday, February 4, 2013

Liver Parmesan

One of my sister bloggers found out she has anemia (low iron in her blood). She was asking for recipes that have liver in them, since the doctor told her to eat more to help increase her iron levels.

I was anemic during one of my pregnancies, and this is what I used to make with calf's liver. I happen to like liver. But I know it is also an acquired taste. You either like it or you don't. I hope Nettie likes this one.

I used a stock photo for this. Since I haven't made it in a while. Hmmm I may have to make it soon.

 Photo credit to Tumblr.com

1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 cup onion, cut into thin slices
2 TBS olive oil, butter, or veggie oil
Calf liver cutlets 
flour
salt and pepper
1 cup favorite spaghetti sauce (canned or homemade), use more if serving over pasta
Mozzarella cheese slices
Parmesan cheese shreds
parsley
Hot cooked pasta (optional)  

In a med nonstick frying pan, over medium heat add 1 tbs of oil and the mushrooms and onions. Saute until they are almost all caramelized. 
While veggies are sauteing, salt and pepper both sides of the calf liver and dredge in flour. 
Push the mushrooms and onion to the outside edges of the pan (in a circle).
Add second tbs of oil to pan and place liver in the middle of the pan. Allow to get nice and browned on both sides of the liver, about 5-8 minutes a side.
Add spaghetti sauce to the pan, over the veggies and liver. Heat until sauce is bubbly. 
Add a Mozzarella cheese slice to top of liver cutlet, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese shreds and parsley.
You can cover pan with a lid or foil until cheese is melted or place pan (make sure it's oven proof or wrap the handle in a double layer of foil) under broiler until cheese is melted and toasted.
Serve over hot cooked pasta if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment