Thursday, January 17, 2013

Michael's Meatball Soup

I asked hubby what he wanted for dinner tonight. I always do that, not only to see what sounds good, but to also make sure I am not making the same thing he had for lunch; since I put leftovers in the freezer for him to take to work.

Well tonight he completely surprised me! He said he could do a "broth soup". So I am in the kitchen whipping up a Meatball and Pasta soup.


I think it came out really well. I also think that it could use less pasta, so I noted the amount that should be used, not the amount that I used. Hubby wasn't fond of the beans that I added (he is supposed to eat more on his diabetic diet). I really liked the "Italian element" that they added.


1 TBS olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 TBS garlic, crushed or minced very fine
1/2 tsp Italian Seasonings
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 C chicken broth
2 C water
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 
1 large Bay leaf 
2 med carrots, peeled, and diced into small cubes
1 C small pasta (elbow, shells) uncooked
1 15-oz can of Cannellini  (white kidney) beans, do not drain
1 lb (half a package) of pre-made Homestyle Meatballs from frozen food section
Parmesan cheese shreds 

In a large stock pot on med high heat add olive oil and onions, until the onions are soft. Add garlic and saute for about 2-3 more minutes
Add Italian Seasonings, pepper, broth, water, Worcestershire, Bay leaf, and carrots to the pot. Turn to high, until it comes to a boil. Cover and turn to med until carrots are almost soft, about 5 minutes.
Add pasta, beans, and meatballs. Continue to simmer, covered,  for 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
Remove Bay leaf before serving. Top each bowl with some Parmesan cheese.



Like I said too much pasta for a soup, but it was SO tasty!!
Thanks to the hubby for inspiring me after all these years.  
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment